Inspection & Compliance
The SHWD Inspection and Compliance team is responsible for ensuring that local government, business and industrial entities are in compliance with Wyoming Solid and Hazardous Waste Rules and Regulations.
We perform compliance inspections on the following sites:
- Open and closed municipal landfills
- Industrial landfills
- Construction and demolition landfills
- Solid waste transfer
- Treatment and storage facilities
- Hazardous waste generators
- Treatment, storage and disposal facilities
- Used oil generators
- Asbestos management facilities
- Petroleum-contaminated soils facilities
We issue both formal and informal enforcement actions. Informal actions generally involve a letter of violation and warning. Formal actions include issuance of Notices of Violation (NOV), Cease & Desist Orders, and Referral for Penalty to the Wyoming Attorney General’s Office.
Formal enforcement actions are used to deter problem violators and are used only after all efforts have been made through conference and conciliation to return the violations to compliance.
Solid and Hazardous Waste Complaints
Our team responds to solid and hazardous waste complaints and we conduct follow-up inspections as needed to ensure compliance.